View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by andrejk
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
SUCCESS! Maidened my Assassin today. It's actually my second Assassin maiden in three days but I'll get back to that later.

I have gotten back into RC this year after dabbling as a teenager. I have gone through a few planes already.. most still fly to some extent but I'm hitting the limits of what 5-minute epoxy can do. So I picked the Assassin as a way to just enjoy flying without worring about crashes, hard landings, quirky gas engines, windy days and trusting my kids with the sticks.

Here she is, post-first-flight:
Name: IMAG0206.jpg
Views: 209
Size: 51.9 KB
Description:

The build is pretty stock; 1300mah 3s lipo, Mystery 30a ESC, AR6100e radio, TowerPro MG servos, cheapie motor.

Everything trimmed out nicely and my 11-year-old son and I took turns flying. We each flubbed a launch sending the plane carwheeling. He dropped it in the soybean field once. I was messing with the plane on purpose and it got away from me at the end of the runway and hit the grass at mid-power in open view of everone in the RC club sitting around. I think their jaws dropped when I walked up calmly, straighted the prop and threw it back in the air without giving it any thought! In my last flight I was fooling around again and put it into the turf HARD. Unfortunately, that crash was farther away and no one was there to appreciate me rubbing the grass stains off a perfectly intact plane.

So SUCCESS! Thanks to Lee and everyone who had input into this design. It's a winner and I'm already working on another one (embedded lights for night flight!).

Now, about last Friday. That was my first Assassin maiden. I unwisely used a knock-off Spektrum AR6100e receiver. Although it tested fine on the ground and had a good first flight, on the second flight it lost signal when my son took it a little farther than I did. It flew beautifully and descended slowly into a soybean patch a few hundred feet away. Two 2-hour search sessions were unfruitful, so I ordered another Assassin body on Saturday, it arrived on Monday (!!), I built it Monday night and flew it today (Tuesday)--with a real Spektrum A6100e.

Edit: added pictures after finishing the decal/foil job
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Last edited by andrejk; Aug 17, 2010 at 07:34 PM.