Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by craig_c
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
Did you know that SFMYC is the second oldest model yacht club in the U.S. with the Central Park New York club coming in as the oldest, but not by much?
I used to believe this as well but it is not the case. The Central Park Model Yacht Club was founded on December 17th, 1916, so the SFMYC, founded in 1896, is the oldest continuously operating model yacht club by a little over 20 years. I think the confusion may stem from an 1894 article Model Yachting About New York by Frank Nichols when he mentions a club in Manhattan whose pond proved unsuitable and later collapsed. There has been model yachting of one form or another in New York City since about the 1840s, but no organization has had the legs or the stamina of the SFMYC.

Course those bloody English have everybody tarred... their clubs date back as far as 1720!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
With the high density of population in San Francisco and the surrounding cities and counties these events should be packed to capacity. Now that some 'mystery' person has taken on the marketing, and is doing a great job I might add, it just may be possible to increase the attendance of these events.
I can't speak to reasons, but I can say all during the 70's and into early 80s, a typical Sunday at the Lake would be anywhere from 30 to 60 members of the power boat squadron and maybe half again as many assorted "hangers on." I have photos dating back further, to after the war (WWII) with literal crowds, each man with a big boat, many the size of Sterling's Chris Craft 63' or larger, most scratch or from plans.

Regattas and special events/runs usually turned out with 75 to 100 or more participants.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Aug 23, 2010 at 03:59 AM.