Thread: Discussion The Dream-Flight Alula Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 01, 2010, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by Montag DP
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,648 Posts
I just got an Alula. This is my first experience with soaring flight. I have a pretty wide open field with a construction site that has a built-up ridge about 15-20 ft. high. There are also usually hawks soaring around during the day and swallows that like to chase my plane around the ridge. It's not a great slope but it's facing the right way and it's the best I've found within reasonable distance from me.

My Alula came out at 5.7 ounces all-up. I didn't add any color or anything, though I might add some stripes to the bottom of the wing in Sharpie. All I can say is this is the most fun I've had in the hobby in a long time. A steady 5-10 mph breeze is all it needs to stay up flying the ridge. I've had it out 3 times and each time I've flown it until the Tx battery was dead or almost dead. I've even managed to catch some thermals. This afternoon/evening I actually rode a pretty good thermal up to a couple hundred feet before I lost it. Maybe I'll go out sometime in better thermal conditions and see how it goes.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP