Thread: Discussion Walkera 4F200 3 blade head
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by Dan203
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I've found that some vendors base their shipping costs on the price of the order, or the type of item you're buying, rather then weight. For example I was just placing a parts order with ClubHeli last week and for some reason shipping was going to be over $9 even though all the parts I was buying were very small and light. After some experimentation I discovered that by simply removing one part and getting the price below $50 the shipping cost was cut in 1/2.

I think the problem is that here in the US shipping charges are based on both the size and weight of the package. It's very easy to design a website where you can calculate the total weight at checkout, but it's difficult to calculate the size of the box needed to hold a bunch of random parts of varying sizes. Some sites compensate for this by over estimating shipping even on very small/light packages and others do it by selecting a sort of middle ground and then making up for it in volume. (some people pay too much, some pay too little, but in the end the business breaks even)

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203