Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by LtColBryan
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Great story

There are some birds at our local club field that I've had fly with me on some mornings. I never knew what they were until I read your post and looked the bird up - it's definitely the same! There is a birdhouse attached to our field's shed that they nest in, and I've had as many as a dozen flying with me.

The first few times I thought they were aggressively trying to chase the plane out of their area, but since then I've changed my mind to the thought that they actually have fun flying along. I used to try to avoid them, only to have them follow me from one end of the field to the next. Now I like to do slow banks and climbs/dives at speed and watch the mass follow along.

Just this morning I had about 6 flying with my Sukhoi XP - they really seem attracted to that plane a lot. I think it's more of their speed and agility

I wasn't aware they migrated so early, but they are still here as of today. Hopefully they'll hang around a bit longer, it really is a fun experience.
Good News!

After being gone for two days, the Purple Martins living in my gourds have come back! I'm guessing they probably went up to visit the Wright Brother's Memorial at Kitty Hawk for a couple of days. Anyway, we're formation flying again every morning and evening!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan