Thread: Discussion The Dream-Flight Alula Thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by pentium
Denmark, Rodovre
Joined Nov 2004
173 Posts
4 servos !

I tried something different with my Alula.

I have the old Alula, weighing only 130 grams, so I didn't need a new light SAL-plank. But I couldn't resist trying the new one with 4 servos. It will be heavier, but with much better handling ?

It got heavier, partly because I wasn't focused on the weight. 230 grams actually, 100 grams heavier than the old version !

I used 4 C-261 servos, which are high quality, low slop, low power consuming servos. They run very smoothly and with the low slop you got much more precise handling. Reciever is a Schulze 835 with aerial buried into the wing.

The outer parts of the ailerons are - ailerons. The inner parts are elevators. I have mixed the elevators to follow the ailerons by approx 50%. The aileron function runs much more smooth then. I also have crow brakes at my disposal. Nice to have on a heavy model.

How does it fly ? I can't launch it so high as the lighter one. But it handles really well. Not flimsy at all, and it is not so touchy on the elevator. Doesn't tipstall, even it is heavy. Really calm flying, and is able to hang on a small slope in 2-3 m/s.

It feels like a much bigger plane to fly, partly because of the weight that makes it go in a very constant speed, but also because of the very smooth handling.

I will use this one on small slopes and for small time DS
pentium is offline Find More Posts by pentium