View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,563 Posts
"Mustang" your Champ

After changing out the stock motor for the UM P-51 Mustang motor, I noticed a slight to moderate increase in performance. I stayed with the stock prop, and only changed to the Mustang motor because I had one on the shelf and it fits the Champ gearbox. However, along with this motor came an increased appetite for battery mAh's. Translation: the Mustang motor would eat a 130 or 150 mAh Lipo rather quickly, usually within 7 - 8 minutes of moderately aggressive flying, hitting the LVC. So, I figured I would do to the Champ what I did with the Mustang......go with a 240 1S Lipo, either the HK Zippy, or the Hyperion 240 1S. The photos show the Zippy 240, but the way to go is with the Hyperion 240's. 12-14 minutes of spirited flight before LVC. Modifiction is rather easy, just enlargen the battery "tray" via the use of a sharp X-acto knife, and shave the leading edge of the landing gear former slot, and you are good to go. With a stock Champ motor, the 240 1S Hyperion Lipo should provide some good extended flight times. The plane is a touch more nose heavy with the battery located as shown, but you could trim the plastic former for clearance and move the battery further back in the "tray". Photos taken when I was trying the HK Zippy 240's. Forget about them, and go with the Hyperion's. What works for the Mustang works for the Champ!

RDS
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac