View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by The Don
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,625 Posts
Installing the motor into the fan unit was not difficult. I took a few photos showing it. The real issue came with the spinner. With no spinner the fan runs quite well and pretty smooth. So I added the spinner and tried to balance it. After 45 minutes I realized there was no way it will balance too much out of round so I hooked up a 2S lipo and ran the motor fan unit at partial throttle and used a grinding stone and pressed it against the spinner while turning to try to smooth it out./ You can see by the photos how out of round the spinner is. I kept on going until it I would get full marks around the whole OD. So then I used some 320 grit paper and smoothed it some then 600 grit to get it even smoother. i then ran it up and was much smoother on a 2S lio. So I went to the 4S lipo again and at half throttle the fan vibrated bad. So I worked some more to balance, and I got it to run silky smooth up to 50% throttle then suddenly it would always go way out of balance. I finally gave up after about 45 more minutes of messing around. So I balanced it with no spinner on. I then test fit the parts for the outlet and inlet and it fit just fine.

As far as the spinner, I think the trouble is the screw is way down low and the rest of the spinner is unsupported and can flex at higher rpm. So for the heck of it I mixed up some epoxy and filled the spinner with it. I am letting it cure over night and I will see if it can be balanced now as the spinner will be acting as one unit. Worth a test anyhow.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM.