Thread: Discussion Push tug
View Single Post
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by rlboats2003
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
641 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence der Kapitan

Some times you just have to sit with a hull or the instructions of a kit on the couch on these warm days (after an evening of wet sanding the cabin of the Morgan 30 in preperation for removing ports and hatches for a resin prep coat and then the application of white Perfection) and say what can I do with this. Case in Point - the Liberty Tug - I have seen guys make the topsides really Kool with coffee stir sticks and scribed decks, but no one really changes the vac-u-formed hull to give it a really Tug type look - until some one mentioned in a different forum on old tugs to use the Dumas Lackawanna hull (not in any relationship to the Liberty tug)which has some real +++'s Well you get the drift. The problem these couch modeling efforts don't get anything built.

The other couch modeling is searching the picture files for something interesting - Case in point 5 years ago when I was still shooting film - I took pictures of a really cool push boat (about 30') that was sitting down by Harry Waterfront Resturant in Buffalo - I shot 2-3 rolls of film and took measurement with a tape measure, I know I had the film developed and it was very similiar to this one that John is building except, I was going to take a single screw Vac-u-tow and build this marina pushboat. Even bought the special plastic raised steel diamond decking. But can I find the pictures?

That is what I mean by Couch Modeling - all that time a person sits with scale rulers, dividers,cailbers and scratch paper and your laptop computer (which has an excel program that turns all of Der Kaptian tug hulls (as well as dumas, hartman, Loyalhanna ect to what it would be in each typical boat modeling scale from 1/96 through 1/8.) The what can I make with this thing! and will it be realistic!

Happy Modeling,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Last edited by rlboats2003; Jul 06, 2010 at 07:37 PM.