View Single Post
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Fly2High
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
To me, Transmitters are like game consoles now. The manufacturer makes little on them. It is the receiver where the real money is made now that everyone is propietary.

These small outfits are merely looking to get in on the piece of the pie.

To me, spektrum is all over because they were first with a 'regular joe' system (not a ,'I'm a hollywood model maker on a custom system'). That is why they are everywhere.

Maybe by allowing for 3rd party manufacturing, they will better be able get their radios out there and take up more of the market. Spektrum is doing it . My guess is to hold their share of the market.

Once you own a Futaba, you will sometime spend the extra for that special plane for a Futaba made Rx. Some will have a bad experience on the cheap stuff and now be forced to get OEM stuff. Either way, I see it as a win-win situation.

I think this is why Atx and Hitec have kept their prices for stuff low. If there is little markup, 3rd parties will be less likely to make Rxs and they will be in better control. Also, if price is the driving factor, you can start from the beginning with a better pricepoint on Rxs with them.

I don't know about you but I use plenty of 3rd party Rxs for 72mHz. Why, cheaper, lighter and in some cases better than what the OEM was selling. It also offer options for the Tx user.

they each have their own marketing strategy. time will tell which is best....
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High