Thread: Discussion XC#10 in a series, Giant Icon?
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,289 Posts
Summary

Added in the new Super Supra that we flew this weekend, in summary format. Here is what shows up.

The Supra is a much bigger plane than the 12 inch chord with V2 airfoils but ties it on the 50 mile good day. Up high running fast the speed to fly is fast enough to push it down the polar far enough to move into reflex mode. The Supra wins big on the inverted, light day because it can outclimb everything else. Better in cruise mode, not reflex. The Supra loses by 2 minutes to the 12 inch chord V2 that XFLR5 likes so much. Slightly better in reflex. However, the far superior min sink helps you out in case of an ultra low save. This is worth more than the 2 minutes saved over an hour and a half race.

I'm sold on camber change. I suspect the Supra would win even bigger if we optimized the area and chord for visibility and upped the wing loading a little.

Not sure how to write a function to weight the different conditions, but I would say the final design has to approximately tie the 12 inch chord V2 on the big day and beat the Supra on the two inverted days by a little. Any more that can be squeezed out would go to the big day, as there are more of these and everybody remembers them more.

If anybody wants the spreadsheet to play around with PM me.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Last edited by G Norsworthy; Jun 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add text