Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by darylm44
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Brent,

It did need about an ounce and a half of ballast in the nose to balance at 64 mm back from the LE. That is a good place for the CG. I needed three ounces on the tips of the floats to get the CG right with the floats installed. That makes me wonder if the designer moved the floats so far forward in order to try and effect balance without adding a ton of ballast. I was encouraged enough with the excellent flight characteristics of this to go ahead and work out the issues with the floats. My guess is that I'l need to cut the step straight across, mount them about 2" rearward and hide significant lead in the tips. I'll post my results. In the meantime, I'll probably use this thing as a winter beater plane because it flies so nice.
My instructions call for the CG to be 78-84 mm behind the leading edge. When I tried to fly the plane it was obvious that the plane was very tail heavy and almost impossible to handle. I had a minor crash, just broke off one of the float tabs and the prop. My lucky day.

Can anyone verify the 64mm CG? I know that I have to move it forward just would like to know what others are doing.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44