View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by xx29l9
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
874 Posts
Hull shape and stuffing tube-

Looking ahead to when I will put some cut sheets of 1/16" plywood on the bottom of the hull, I noticed when I was doing some trial fits the the wood can not bend sharp enough in places to follow the hull contours. The 1:1 hull has some very defined and sharp lines on the bottom, so in order to duplicate these on the model I will add a piece of plywood to the middle of the keel and then more pieces connected off of that one for the bottom of the hull. These are the issues I enjoy trying to find solutions to on a scratch build. Only directions are the ones rattling around in my head.

Also began to build the stuffing box. Slipped a brass tube through the slot in the hull and made a mark that was then used on the bench grinder to rough shape the tube. Since the stuffing box will be pretty short due to a lack of room between the bottom of the bilge and deck floor, I planned on using two pieces of brass tubing one inside of the other with the last one having 2 oilite bearings soldered in for the 3/16" shaft.

bob
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9