Thread: Discussion XC#10 in a series, Giant Icon?
View Single Post
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,289 Posts
Discussion
XC#10 in a series, Giant Icon?

#8 is a success with a 7 hour 90 mile flight, a 1 hour LSF 5 flight in the bag, and countless miles on the road with a variety of pilots. Max altitude 1522m, a full yank from a dive twice, and plenty of landings on various surfaces with never a scratch on the T-tail.

#9 should be in the hands of a customer shortly and I expect great things.

Now it is time to sit back, slow down, and really think about what the next one will look like. I have one more fuse in the corner, and this should be it for a while. I can stop anytime. Really.

This design will be data and analysis driven. JW has patiently pointed me in the right direction over the past few years and it is starting to sink in. I'm not an aero professional but the tools are public and anybody stubborn enough to stick with it should be able to go through this design process.

I have some very interesting first look results but I need to clear something up before I go on. Does the max visible height scale linear with the chord or does it follow some other function? As a starter I took the fraction of a degree that a given chord takes up in a circle and plotted it against the altitude for three different chords. If my math is right it is not linear, and the higher you go, the more advantage the 14" (red) chord has. Will haze make this curve more linear, or worse yet, bend it the other direction, and does the amount of haze matter? Open for discussion.
G Norsworthy is online now Find More Posts by G Norsworthy