Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by dag214
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickey View Post
Dag, some years ago, I was using a 32 cell nicd pack for one of my planes, at the field I used a 12v, deep cycle marine battery like you. I could get about 2 charges and then it took forever to get the third. I was messing around one day and put my astro watt meter between the 12v batt and my charger(SR smart charger) during a charge, it showed a 23 amp draw on the 12v batt. I then knew why I was only getting a couple of charges, out of the batt before needing a recharge. I was charging at 5-6 amps for the pack.
Just something to think about
Bob

I know what you mean, my 4 6600 packs for my 1919 pulls my 12 volt down after 4 charges. That is why I have a gen-set with a AC battery charger to keep my Deep Cycle topped off. At SEFF I saw many cool gen-set set-ups. I tested the set-up on Monday in my garage. I will have 3 chargers that will draw on my 12v, and the gen-set to keep my 12v charged. I am wondering if I can pull more than my 15 amp car battery charger can keep my 12v charged at. My Gen-set will put out 16 amps at 120volts continuously. So the test will be will I pull more out of the 12v deep cycle battery than my gen-set can keep up with. Remember I only fly my big stuff about 4-5 times in a 8-10 hours day. So the charger will have all day to keep working.

Rock ON!
Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214