Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrorc View Post
Hi
The cap charge circuit will work to prevent large sparks but I read somewhere in another thread that there is a possible problem when it is used with certain brands of ESC's. From memory, the ESC will initiate its startup sequence before the caps have fully charged to the battery voltage and as a result a lower cutoff point for the low voltage cutoff will be set into the ESC than the number of cells in the battery would warrant.
This will not be a problem if you never fly long enought to drain the battery to a low level or use a type of ESC that sets the low voltage cutoff point via an initial setup program.
Just wanted to make you aware of this in case it applies to any of your projects.

John W.
I can see why that would happen. However, will setting the ESC to look for a set number of cells instead of auto detecting the number of cells, fix that? That way the ESC is looking for the correct voltage before initiating the start-up sequence instead of initiating the start-up when it sees any voltage that seems to be the correct for the ESC in autodetect.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep