Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
8,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
Hey Jim,

Yeah, it does look good. I reckon that the N to NNE winds would work best from recollection (probably S as well), but have a look on google earth and sus out which wind direction hits the front slope face on.
The northern side face has a fairly good landing zone so I think you could fly crunchies there without too many problems.
If you want to start DSing, get a Windrider Bee or Bat (the Bat is better) and make it stiff with a decent spar system and go practice. The reason I suggest Windrider planes is that they take a lot of punishment and are very cheap. The Scorpion from Off The Edge Sailplanes is also a great buy, and better suited to DS than the Bee. Just my opinion.
Waz
Waz,
The NE facing bowl shaped cliff face would definately produce good lift in the summer prevailing winds. I expect it would work well in light conditions. I could probably fly (and land) my planes with butterfly braking there safely. I can imagine reverse park landing my Endorphin Rush on the grass there. However, the LZ is not big enough to land something like my Speedo unless I ditched it in the Banksia's.
As for the Windrider planes and others, I have a philisophical problem with "secret" airfoils. They amount to a developmental dead end, and remind me of the so called "Patent Wars" of last century.
I have just been given a Zagi. Are they suitable for DS?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson