Old May 11, 2010, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by power
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloantoine View Post
I'm amazed at the chances you're taking - but hey, no pain, no gain.
I'm using the D90 myself from a 15 ft blimp on a servo head and still worry about landing with such a heavyweight.
For that matter I never dared using the 18-200 mm zoom on it during flight - I use just a good 17-55 VR because it's lighter and the VR is the essential tool needed.
From my exp even from my blimp there is so much movement (drift) up there that only very short exp times and VR would yield any usable picts.
I am attaching here 2 picts at max resolution allowed for upload (resized) - to judge the max resolution I got (sometimes...).
Other times it's unbelievable how crappy even a Nikon can get from the air! About 50% of the crop ends in trash...

Is it worth? I think yes. What do you say? Can you post better resolution?

Well...first off my plane is a pussy cat to fly so I don't feel like I am taking to big of chance. I usually get only a few pics that are not usable out of a typical shoot of several hundred images. The images that are not usable are either canted while I hit a turn or blown out a bit from the sun, never usually blur or grain. Your VR lens is one of your problems if you have a motor as even when you turn it off it can cause issues. You may think that VR is essential but it's not it is actually working against you.

Do some searching here on the forum and you will see just how big of a pain VR/OIS can be if you have any high frequency vibes at all. Your camera settings alone may be to blame as well. I would be really dissapointed if I only got 50% good shots.

Here are my a few of my last shots from yesterday, This is with the Nikon D40 and a straight 18-55mm kit lens. No VR..

Remember to click the top banner to expand the image to larger size.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242402

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242414

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power