View Single Post
Old May 08, 2010, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,012 Posts
Wow..haven't posted since 4-19. Worked on the last original size Cutlass last weekend, the big one this weekend. Finally the last big floral holiday is over, so I can start getting some work done on these planes, again.

Have the fan mounting sorted, and the start of the ducting. Does not look like much of a following, at least for the twin version, so I'm going to make the intake molds as a short use item. After shaping, just a coat of aliphatic sealer and wrap with packing tape, spray with PVA and lay up the ducting.

I used my normal way of finding the shape of the ducting, through the use of laminated 1/8"sq balsa and sheet 1/16". Works fine. Not truely "area ruled" but a smooth transition from the intake to the fan. Have no idea of the intake area,(don't know how to figure the area of a concave shape) but it looks to be close to 100% FSA. The WM-400's are known for their ability to work at less than 100%, so I'm fine with it. Plus, the fact that the Cutlass does not need extreme power to perform very well.

I should have them shaped after the blocks are secured tonight. Then possibly lay-up tomorrow. I'll be glad. Then I can get on with the framing, completion and to the next project, I received from Tom.
I think the next project will turn some heads. Definetly not often modeled in EDF. A very obscure WW-II German jet.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin