Old May 05, 2010, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Discussion
Small site DS?

Anyone else had any results DS'n very small sites?

I don't have any decent DS sites locally so I had a go at a hill-fort cut on top of a local site. I was really surprised at the sound and acceleration! I now see why DS at any speed is so addictive. I was only able to manage asymmetric DS circuits (judging by the single loud 'crump' sound) losing everything I had gained as I came round for another dive in. It was interesting to note how the smoother air delivered more acceleration and passing thermals killed it.

Missing the lip by inches added to the fun and I soon learnt that gentle turns delivered the most but I think I need a purpose built model to retain the gains. This site is covered in dense heather and I was using a robust composite design so impacts were no issue.

I have seen the Co guys doing road cut DS which looked similar but this site is much smaller and the shear makes a lot of noise.

Once I sort out a new design I am thinking I will need to do about 40' circuits to keep things moving, without a gyro I imagine my reflexes won't be able to correct things quick enough.

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; May 05, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo