Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by arbilab
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,407 Posts
Alert
Ebay alert: Feedback bots

See this thread and the adjacent one about 'planemodel888'. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post14974463

After escalating complaints about this vendor sending wrong or defective products, we looked closer. In the same day this vendor got 90 positive ebay feedbacks in a category where many offerings run to the end of their auction times with no bids at all.

Looking closer yet, and comparing to the boards I administer, I found the same correlation between same-text feedback reports and random-character usernames that I find with spambots.

IOW, this seller is using a feedback bot and very likely has been all along. I don't know how to predict in advance which ebay sellers are and which aren't, but it's readily apparent that it's being done and ebay has no system in place to prevent it.

Just if you see a predominance of jibberish screennames in the feedback list, very similar text, and a disproportionate number of reports per unit time, do not do business with that ebay seller. Or avoid ebay altogether, like I do.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab