View Single Post
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by ssatoru
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,046 Posts
Hi avt,

I see. I live closer to sea and it was always windy when I can fly near my house. I agree sport plane, not 3D plane is what you will need.

I am not sure size helps much. To fly in a strong wind, I guess you will need speed (prop with higher pitch), power and medium to high wing loading in low drag plane. Does not need to be heavy because it makes landing difficult but not too light as pure 3D planes.

Probably you want to prepare power set on your own, not supplied as ready to fly. Choose higher pitch prop, definitely not slowfly type prop most RTF foam plane comes with.

When I flew Formosa, I gave 150 - 180W input power (3s, 15=20A) with total weidht of 5-600g or so with APC 9x6e or 8x8e, reignfoced wing and moving surfaces. I flew in windy condition when gas flyers gave up.

Foam plane is hard to repair when foam is collapsed, especially larger one. It was the same in Rainbow. I agree light weight stylish 2 piece wing plane is hard to repair if it breaks around center fuse. Take a look at 1 piece low or high winged plane with boxy fuse. Good trainers (Kyosho Calmart for example) are designed to break to be easy to repair. It has one piece wing and rear wing mount is designed to break there, which you can glue it quick. Form Multiplex Magister/Mentor is also good. (oops. these are trainer style plane...)

Hope this helps.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru