View Single Post
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
818 Posts
Bits & Pieces

I masked off the top hatch perimeter and painted it with American Accents "Oil Rubbed Bronze" aerosol after sanding with 320p paper. Not quite black and not too glossy. I also decided to temporarily install the supplied main axles while I decide what to do about the wheel pants.
Those wheel pants. I've never been a big fan of them and I know there are some Decathlons without them so I may fly that way for a while. Still, I've decided to go ahead and fit them anyway. I placed them over the wheel and marked along the edges of LG using a Sharpie. I then sanded the recess to fit over the axle with a 1/2" sanding drum in the trusty Dremel. A 1-1/2" block at the back helped me gauge how deep to sand the recess and once that was done I marked the pants for the screws through the pre-bored LG. I opened up the screw holes for the "T"-nuts. I'll glass those in and I'll have a quick-change set of wheel pants. There's a shot of the Fuz with the pants in place.
I filed a flat on the axles for the set screws in the wheel collars but also added a cotter pin as shown. A little bit of safety.
There's also a shot of the 64oz B&B tank in place. Its pretty much on the CG which is where it should be. Notice the stiffeners under the mid-tray for the velcro staps.
Some of the t-nuts for the cowl were not aligned to my liking. I used an X-acto saw to help cut them away and actually it wound up being pretty easy to pop the strips off. A quick cleanup up with a sanding drum in the Dremel and some thickened epoxy put everything back where it needed to be.
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Last edited by Asher Carmichael; Apr 04, 2010 at 10:29 PM.