View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey Guys,
I agree that the German WNF 342 Doblhoff is the ugliest and most sinister of the two, and have elected to go that route based on John's encouragement.

The aircraft was really more of a convertiplane than an Autogyro, or Helicopter. It had tip jets on the blades for takeoff/landing and had a helicopter style swashplate. The pusher prop was disengaged for hover. There was no need for an anti-torque system since the tip jets produced no torque on the rotor mast.

I'm currently bidding on the power plant. A 50cc Gas engine to which the rest of the ship will be scaled. I'm still looking for accurate line drawings to scale from. I've worked some numbers based on the 20" prop the Gas engine will turn, and rough scale from pictures and best guess, the main rotor would be approx. 96" dia. (Insert 3 manly male grunt noises here)

I've found very limited info about the machine. I like the tube structure build, and should lend itself to easy duplication. This project is quickly moving to the top of my build list.

I found a few more pics.

-I will most likely use a 3-blade scale heli for the head since it will be easier than machining one. The cyclic inputs with a swashplate will require much less torque than a tilting rotor system in most of my other autogyro's
-I don't have plans at this time to install tip jets, or have a blade collective pitch feature

I'm pretty stoked about this....I'm looking for input and opinions guys.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped