Thread: Discussion How about an indoor micro kite?
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:43 PM
del
Find More Posts by del
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Discussion
How about an indoor micro kite?

Decades ago, when I first starting getting into indoor free flight, I fell in love with the possibilities of light weight materials. One of the for-fun toys I built was a Rogallo wing kite. The span was about 3 inches, the spars were boron filaments, it was covered in transparent mylar, and the line was "invisible" mono-filament thread. To this day I don't know what the neighbors thought when they saw me, on a clam evening, standing in the street, holding an invisible thread and looking up at an invisible kite...

So, taking a break from more "serious" modeling, I decided to make a stick and tissue indoor kite. It's based on a S. F. Cody design from the early 1900's. More info on Cody can be found at:

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/cody.html

The good news is, It Flies! The air seemed dead calm in the back yard so I test flew it this afternoon. Any puff of wind and up she'd go. It should be fine for a "walk around and it follows" indoor kite.

The wing span is 16". The weight is 2.9 grams. The construction is balsa sticks and Gampi tissue.

Anybody else building indoor micro kites, or rc conversions?

--del
del is offline Find More Posts by del