Thread: Mini-HowTo Solidworks Wing Mold
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by heli_bee
Joined Mar 2005
501 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Erazz.

I used MDF as it is very cheap to experiment with, also my spindle is a fixed rpm version and too fast for dealing with metal!!

I will try the resin method, although I will have a go at using polyester as I still have a few kilos of it (about 10kg). If it works out, that's great. If not I will have wasted a few hours and others can learn from my mistake.

My software does not allow pocket maching in 3D it will only give the option of X-Axis, Y-Axis or at an angle of 135 degrees. It does allow the option of another pass at 90 degrees to the first though.

I can't easily re-machine the mould surface, but I will have go at another one, this time with an 8mm ball nose (that will allow me to drill the locating holes at the same time.

I have already redesigned, and cut out new Z-axis parts for my CNC machine, I'm just waiting for the trapezoidal nuts to arrive. That should sort out some of the roughness, and a smaller stepover should also help. Thanks for that info, by the way.

Just one question. Do you have any idea how well the cutter handles the resin coated MDF?

Regards,
Martin.
heli_bee is offline Find More Posts by heli_bee