View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by roydor
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,072 Posts
I thought I would give a little update,

Weather, flu and family and I have went flying the Gremlin just twice before last weekend when we had the first competition of the season here in Israel. I was still dialing in some of the mixes during the final round of the competition but the Gremlin performed very well. The conditions were tricky, light to no wind and very light air moving sporadically across the sky.
You had to constantly keep adjusting your position in the thermal. On one round I had to change the air I was flying in three times, even though I thought I was set for the round in some comfortable air about 5 minutes in, it just disappeared on me and I had to go looking for something new, found something better and again thought I was set but at 3 minutes to go it turned into sink and I went looking again for that little something to complete the round.
The Gremlin is unbelievably stiff, and the zooms are very impressive, I was flying off a 1.6mm line since I finished all my good lines last season and haven’t ordered new ones yet, and even with the completely unsuitable line for the conditions (1.2 or 1.3 would have been fine) I was launching one of the highest. The model still needs some fine tuning in the launch but it’s pretty much there.
The Gremlin signals air very well, probably due to the light tail and the handling is excellent.
The Gremlin is also a landing machine, the flaps are very efficient and having had no landing practice on the model I ended up having a 97, 98 and a 100 with good times on my best flights. Ended up in third place just 4 points behind the winner and one point from second place and I’m happy with the score.

I’ve also finished molding my second Gremlin, an all carbon wing with a reinforced fuse. It will take me some time to finish trimming the wings, mold the wipers in the wing and install the radio system (I even need to order servos and an RX) and I have a long business trip coming up so the model should fly in a no less than a month. It should come out around 2.2 kilos and has a 90 gram carbon skin and an even stronger spar. I took some pictures on a friends camera of the build and will put them up as soon as I have them.

Roy
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor