View Single Post
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
2,236 Posts
Discussion
My FIRST Thermals! And my first day at the club!

I had my FIRST thermal flight today! And it was on my FIRST day at the Marymoor RC Club!

The weather in Seattle today has been stunningly beautiful so there was no reason to sit home and do nothing.
I flew the Cumulus '97, a 10 year-old six-foot wingspan, Nicad battery but damn good flying electric sailplane (look at my picture on the left)

I hit two monster thermals at Marymoor, the first was the best, rode it up to about a thousand feet. The second one I almost gave up at first because all I could find was sink (which meant there was a BIG thermal around). Then all of a sudden at the corner of my eye to my right I see about 4 hawks soaring high with their wings spread out so I headed over there......hit alot of turbulence on the way then....BAM up I went! And I got it all on my inflight camera.

Longest flight may have only been 22 min (it was the second one with the birds which I did not have the camera on), buy hey It was my first thermals so I got nervous once I hit about 900 feet. And I only used about half of my two Nicad 600 Mah and 1000 Mah batteries (I only use Nimh and LIPO on my other gliders/planes). Bringing it down sure is hard! To show what a glider is capeable (barely) of doing I did some loops and rolls on the way down to lose lift.

Club flying is fun because your etheir flying with a big honking gas plane or small sub-3D electric guys swarming your big glider.
Was a great day for me!

And thanks to my dad for hand-launching it and coaching me to the thermals and telling me to get out of the unseen force once the orientation was getting trick for me and my cheap sunglasses.

Youtube video uploading, so stay tuned!
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Mar 06, 2010 at 10:20 PM.