Thread: Discussion New hyperion motors??
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Any suggestions?
For a warbird, you want a motor that can generate 100-120 watts per pound. So if you estimate 8lbs, then 800-960 watts. I would stay in the upper half of the range to give you that extra edge so say 880 to 960 watts. I think the 4020-12 is a good choice. The 4025 may be a bit big. Here is a data chart for the Hyperion 40xx motors tested with different numbers of cells at prop sizes:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/zs/ZS40propdata.pdf

I would think scale would be somewhere in the 12-14 inch range, so if that matters to you, figure out what is closest to scale, but make sure you have enough clearance. I would think the zs4020-12 on 4S and a 14x12e prop would be good. Producing just over 960 watts at just over 60a. I am sure some could argue that but its a good starting point I think.

You save over 100g and you can go with a lighter (and cheaper) 4S pack. However it is lighter than the Power 60 and Axi motors recommended, so may also want to look at that 4025-10 on a 5s and 13x8e if you don't think you can get the CG right with the lighter motor. You could add nose weight though.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly