Medicine Bottle Towerpro Outrunner Brushless Motor Installation
I installed a Towerpro Brushless Motor
I chose it because at 1600Kv on 3s, it should roughly give me the same RPM as my ARC 28-37-3 at 2700Kv on 2s. And at $10, the price was right. It swings a 5.5 X 4.5 Prop...pretty close to the stock prop. It is controlled by a SuperSimple 25 Amp ESC. I think all this will add up to a power system that will propel this nearly stock EZ* with authority and get close to 1 hour of flight time on a 2200mAH 3s Lipo.
I mounted it using a common plastic medicine container (30 mm diameter).
1. Mark the holes of the motors mounting bolts using a fine permanent marker on the bottom of the bottle.
2. "Drill" holes using a heated nail. I used a candle to heat it and a set of pliers to hold the nail.
3. Bolted the motor to the mount, using the provided nuts bolts and washers. A set of tiny fingers (in my case, my son helped) and a magnetic screw driver are very helpful.
4. Fit the plastic bottle into the nacelle. There will be a little gap because the nacelle is meant to fit a 28 mm motor. I cut it down a bit to lower the profile to fit my carry box.
5. Determine the bottle's correct length. In my example, the motor is in the open air. That said, I think there is enough clearance to hide it inside the nacelle.
6. Cut the bottle to length.
7. Wrap some thin two sided tape around the bottle. I stole some from my wife's crafts box. She uses it to mount pictures in albums. Carpet tape will do as well.
8. Fit the bottle into the nacelle and secure with packing tape.
I elected to use a 30mm aluminum spinner, because I think it looks cool. I had to cut the long prop shaft to a length that allows the spinner to sit right next to the motor with out any of the shaft visible.
I ran the 3 wires down through a hole made whrere the tailboom meets the rest of the fuse. The ESC is located in a vented chamber just under the Cg.
It's a nice, simple and solid install. Hopefully get to maiden it tomorrow.
I think it is a inexpensive way of mounting outrunners into our Easystars.
Hope this helps someone.
Let me know if you have any questions.