Well I picked up an Optima7 (I got tired of waiting for the 6) and went to work replacing the BODA antenna.
I have to say, stripping off the external plastic, then the shielding was a bit trickier than I thought
. It took me a couple of attempts before I got it right. It takes a real light
touch on the X-acto blade while rolling the coax. But it works!
As I mean, replacing the BODA with just a stripped coax works fine. I flew my DLG today for 2 hours (actual accumulated flight time) up to 700' AGL and a good 600' away without any issues. I had setup the fail-safe to be full flaps with a slight left turn on rudder, just in case. It never went into fail-safe.
I have a contest this weekend to try it out. Hopefully I won't have any radio issues like I usually have at that field on my old 72Mhz.