Thread: Discussion Newbe, Foam MD-80, 2.3m long.
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by chochmah
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
556 Posts
Thanks,

The weight of all non foam/balsa equipment is 722g (excluding y-connectors and prolonging wires, those make around 200g extra). I can't tell you the weight of the whole plane since I haven't put it on a scale yet but I hope it stays below 2KG.

The Neffwaffe Airliners seem to be ultraligh-weight judging by the low landing/take off speeds. My MD80 is a lot heavier due heavier engines/escs and a more solid/overbuild construction using balsa- and plywood for reinforcement as well as 6mm Depron and a solid Foam-Nose. I think I have seen a person building a plane somewhere around here who claimed he's using the same construction methods Neffwaffe used. His Plane only had one thick foampiece in the middle of the fuselage and a couple of bulkheads. So by the transitive property I deduct my construction is not similar to Nefwaffes.

I'm using 3mm EPP for the wing-surfaces and the fuselage-surface. 6mm depron for everything else. I did so because I read that EPP is more easy to bend and more resilient than depron.

The Wingspan is 172cm or 5.58 feet or 67.72 inches. Total length is 245cm or 7.94 feet or 95.28 inches. (Horray for the metric system) I have taken the measurements from the picture in my first post and not altered anything.
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
Last edited by chochmah; Jan 21, 2010 at 03:25 AM.