Thread: popcorn anyone?
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
FWIW - I reckon that about six months after lipos are adopted by the electric tool industry, I'll toss all my round cells, buy an Astro charger (push button, turn knob, charge battery - about my "interest in charging" level ) and outfit the fleet with 'flat pack' batteries.

In the meantime, paying out lipo prices, buying chargers that might well turn out to be all wrong, watching packs charge in a fireproof safe and wondering if I can drive home from the patch without a battery setting light to my car are just all too exciting to this sports flier.

Heck, right now, I have an 8lb Cub that does over 15 mins - on nimh - and have twenty minutes of flying for my 4*40 - just have to land a couple of times and swap between her three nicad/nimh packs. Make that 25 mins if I fly her one more time on an aged pack of 2000mA nicads I have kicking about somewhere!

Anyone got a low mileage 24 jug pack of 2600 nimh or similar they want rid of? Be glad to (reasonably ) help you towards your next lipo pack if you have. Want to bury them deep in the nose of something big, bad, fast and very labour/cost intensive !

I really admire folk who rush out and 'early adopt' but in the meantime, I've re-upholstered my fence - because fitting lipos to Sears electric tools will take a lot more effort than replacing nicads with nimh cells

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck