View Single Post
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Chinewalker
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
478 Posts
Sponson chine planking...

Back to the work week so shop time was short. I did get the sponsons faired in and glued the chine planking onto the sponsons. Hopefully I can get the sponson bottoms on this evening and then I can seal up the insides with West System epoxy.

A couple folks have asked about the butt joints I used for the cross members, etc. - I did that on this boat simply because it likely won't see much water time. I am doing this one more as a proof of concept hull just to make sure my lofting and drawing work went well enough to move onto the larger version. Strength, although important, was secondary to making sure I got the various alignments and curves right. At 14-inches long, it doesn't weigh much and the stresses if I do run it with a 1/2A outboard are minimal. The West System that I'm sealing it with will greatly strengthen what's there, too. On the larger version I will notch the cockpit coamings to run the frames chine to chine, and will also run the lateral battens full length on the sides and chines.
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker