View Single Post
Old Jan 01, 2010, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
New firing carronades

Building the improved larger bore 16-gun system for Paratroopers Surprise got me started in an arms race with myself. I decided to also build a new system of 9 + 9 carronades for Syren.
As I thought about it - scale model guns or working guns? - I decided I had to come up with both: working scale model guns.
Pics show first steps.
I turned 18 brass barrels and prepped breech plugs. Need to add the nichrome ignition element to the plugs - same as built for Ray's guns. To make them "scale", the barrels will fit into the cut-off breech sections of the SC&H cast resin carronades and mounted on the carronade bases. The brass barrels will slide in and out of the bored out resin breech so that the breech section and carronade base can be permanently mounted, wired and rigged on the deck. The brass barrels will have friction contacts to connect to the permanently mounted base. The "negative" electrical connection thru the brass barrel is easy, but still figuring the best way to make the "pos" connection to the insulated contact on the back of the plug.
Another approach may be to make a mold and cast new resin carronade breeches for the brass barrel inserts rather than cutting up all my other scale carronades.
The bigger guns produce much more smoke and sound than the current small bore design, are still in scale (see brass barrel and scale resin barrel comparative pic), are less finnicky with the new hand made igniters vs small glow plugs, and the new fast loading system makes them really much more convenient and practical to operate. The in/out barrel design allowing scale rigging of the breech and base will hopefully work out well.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Jan 03, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added ignitor drawing