View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
Well, if I were SB (Steve Boone, founder of the SSP ) for a day, I would make the Bronze level slope task a 1.5Km goal and return with a max of 3 waypoints. Extra distance because it is slope and 3 waypoints to accomodate smaller slopes. Think this is a good task for skill development as well as sometimes the lift leaves the hill due to thermal activity and you either have to go hunt for lift or park it quickly. This happens often on inland slopes.

For the next skill level, can be something different. Not just a longer goal and return. Like the idea of an F3F type task but it does require some basic equipment and helpers.

I would stear clear of DS tasks in the beginning levels. DSing should not be attempted by newbies, mainly due to safety. Once they can do the tasks listed in the Bronze level, they should be in control of the sailplane enough for modest DS. As far as a task is concerned, a lower level task with DS could simply be X number of DS laps in a row, repeated a certain number of times and opposite directions.

I now relenquish my power.....
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99