Thread: Discussion IOM General Discussion
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by larrykin
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Hew 565,
thanks you very much for that. Should have asked you for info before I finished my first IOM. Now too late as have no access to bow to fit block up front. Still have to wonder at using 5 blocks. With a drum winch looks like only need 2.

Purists will scream at this but... what I have done with a Hitec HS-815BB sail arm servo pulling 24.7 kg/cm torque is - drilled 2 holes in arm closer to center. Closest is jib sheet. Tied main sheet to dead end on bulkhead and passed thru outer hole on arm. Jib sheet tied directly to arm. Both lines then pass thru same fairlead in bulkhead. Main line goes straight to mast post. Jib sheet goes to block at stern then straight up to deck via offset fairleads. So I have only one block. This is the simplest method possible and on test sailing response is instant. When line not under tension seems to be no problem as lines are so short nothing to tangle with. I had tried with 3 blocks, then 2. Kept getting tangles. Now smooth and direct. This is the same set up as I have on my old MRP Voyager which has sailed for nearly 2 years and works perfect. I went to KISS after frustration with needless complexity of other sheeting layouts. Any friction in my sheeting is compensated by power of servo and shortness of sheeting.
Proof will be when I race next week against all the boats with normal RMG winches.

Mike -- thanx heaps for pic. Any chance of photo inside showing drum winch? For my new IOM build.

Larry L.

PS
Today I start sanding my new IOM. The hull and deck have just cured after over 24 hours on their molds. Have ordered all fittings which should arrive this week. Might have boat finished in fortnight.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin