DIY Guide Pulley Mod for HeliArtist Elevated Tail Assembly (BO-105/UH-1)
The current Version of the HeliArtist BO-105 and UH-1 fuselages, have a plastic, smooth guide pulley, in the elevated tail assembly, that has been found to wear and come apart.
To prevent your elevated tail model from having a tail rotor failure, you should perform this modification to your model!
6mm or 15/64" Drill Bit
2x Flanged Bearings 3x6x2.3mm or 3x6x2.5mm or 3x6x3mm
2x 3mm ID Washer
1x TREX Tail Rotor Shaft w/Gear (For Tooth side of Belt, lower Guide Pulley)
1x EFLH1464 E-Flite Blade 400 Tail Drive Belt Guide Pulley/Tensioner: B400 (For smooth side of belt, upper Guide Pulley)
4x M2x6mm Socket Head cap Screws
1. Disassemble the Elevated Tail assembly. Using the four M2x6mm screws, assemble the two side plates together.
2. Drill a 6mm hole into the side plates. Smooth out rough edges with sand paper.
3. Install the Flanged bearing into the side plates, with the flange oriented to the inside.
4. Partially assemble the Elevated Tail, and determine where to cut the tail rotor shaft.
Remove any burrs and rough edges from the cut shaft.
5. Install a 3mm washer to each side of the tooth guide pulley, shim as necessary.
Re-assemble the elevated tail assembly and replace the plastic upper guide pulley with the metal guide pulley.
Thread lock all nuts and bolts.