Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
582 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Skyfun - speed thread

Hello all....

I am starting a thread on the SKYFUN flying delta which is available from hobbycity to see what everyone has been doing with theirs.

I bought one a while back and just got around to putting it together.

I didn't bother with the supplied power system, I put a HET 3W motor driving a 4.75 by 4.75 prop on the back, a Pentium 40A speed controller, polyquest 4S 2250 lipo to see what would happen.

I have flown it a few times and todays flight is on the YOUTUBE link below.

My first impressions are:

The thrust angle is wrong, I need to add some upthrust. The change in trim from full power to no power is around 5 clicks.

The plane is nice and stable, very easy to fly.

The speed is okay but I want to know how to make it go much faster!

I lost the plane today when the clear canopy blew off. The battery and all electrics followed it out and so the plane just fluttered down like a leaf. No damage at all except the clear canopy separated and I lost one of the fins.

It's a bitter sweet crash... I know it was not pilot error but I have lost the receiver, fin and the battery. Everything else got found after a search.

I did actually find the battery but as you can imagine it was in no state to re use after a vertical drop from altitude....

As an aside can anyone doppler the video to check the speed for me?

The video is quite shaky and hard to watch but I had a new camera man today.

I am new to high speed foamies so be patient with me! I know there are some big stryker threads etc but there is almost too much information to wade through.

skyfun.wmv (2 min 20 sec)
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Last edited by J.E. Johnson; Dec 24, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: inserting youtube video