View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2003, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Salto
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
BQuick,

That's a very nice plane. It's great to see people working in foam but getting away from simple profile fuselages.

I think the answer to your question about diving in turns is that the rudder input is putting the plane into a big skid, ie. the turn is not co-ordinated, and the plane is yawing too much into the turn. The lack of dihedral and small sweepback (on the top wing only) require large rudder deflection to get the plane to roll, but when it does roll, the resultant skid working with the generous side area produces a lateral force which slides the plane downwards.

This past weekend I too had the first flight of a similar plane, and also in high winds! Mine is a 90% Ultimate Bipe, built with a 3mm Depron "box" fuselage with curved top pieces and rounded corners. It has an IPS Dual A, E-Tec 700 2S, flying weight 225grams. It handled the high wind remarkably well, but was no fun to fly in these conditions.

This morning (Monday) I got up early and flew it in dead calm conditions and got a glimpse of how well this design performs. I will post some pictures here as soon as my friend comes round with his camera.

How did you make the wing on your Pitts? Is it double skinned over ribs or profile cut and solid? What thickness is that Airfoil?

Graham.
Salto is offline Find More Posts by Salto