Thread: Discussion Waveney One Design 1/6th scale
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by Robert May
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageflyer View Post
Robert: What a superb project. I have only just stumbled across it while looking for news of IOM yachts which I currently race. But in my younger days I co-owned a fabulous half-decker that was the proposed prototype for an Oulton Broad One Design, a cross between a Waveney OD and a White Boat (Yare and Bure OD). She was built at Oulton Broad towards the end of the Second World War but was not accepted as a class by the Norfolk and Suffolk Yachting Association because in the hands of an Olympic helmsman she won races against the Waveneys and White Boats. Watching the build of this model brings back wonderful memories of planking and replacing various wooden bits of our full-size yacht.
Thank you VintageFlyer, Wasn't there a bit of an issue with her being built during the war? I remember reading the story somewhere. What happened to that particular boat? I know there are a few of the existing fleet who are keeping an eye on my build, (quality control!) A few of the boatbuilders the would have been young apprentices at the time are still about and will probably remember events from back then. Certainly when I found Kingcup in 1980 people like Colin, Harry and Lenny were a real help. Parrt for the fun of W&OBYC is that there is real cross section of folk there. I am just old enough to remember Lady Mayhew who had been sailing the Brown Boats from the early years, boy did she know how to sail!

If you have any photosgraphs I would be really interested to see what it was that made her so much better than The Waveneys or White boats. The untrained eye can't tell the difference between the two.

Thanks James, I am an honourary resident of Rutland, I spent school holidays there as a youngster before they flooded nearly the whole county under a big Lake. Ruddles and Stilton, that is a party!
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May