View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by jesolins
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
15,139 Posts
Hi Sonny,
Nice historical blog page and bio you have put together The linked story supporting the school kids RC dilemma shows how careful we must be. We certainly have to beware of those scams.
I've ordered quite a few of those motors and hope to receive them any day now. What is your take on why yours failed? Are the shafts held in place on the motor bell with allen screws or only pressed in? Is there a retaining circlip on the other side of the motor? Would perhaps some preventive inspection, lok-tite on the allen screws and maintenance have kept this from happening? I've found that even more expensive motors still must have close initial and follow-on preventive inspection and maintenance accomplished to prevent failures and increase reliability.
Gotta ask...4 hours to install a motor...??...
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Product update! Caution!! As posted earlier in this thread, I purchased a 2830-13 brushless outrunner from RCTimer a couple of weeks ago. I bench tested the motor once to check it's basic functions; no problem. Today I spent 4 hours installing the motor on an airplane, and did one last test before going out to fly tomorrow. After less than 30 seconds, the motor shaft let go and came out of the motor completely; thankfully, I was across the room when it went. Bottom line: BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THESE MOTORS: THEY ARE CHEAP TO BUY FOR A REASON: THEY ARE INFERIOR EQUIPMENT!! I will not bother to try and return a $10 motor to China, BUT I WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE MOTORS FROM RCTIMER!!! BEWARE!! Their connectors and some of their equipment are worth using, but not the motors! Think hard before going for the "deal" these motors offer; it will cost you in the long run!!!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins