View Single Post
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Thrust... an uplifting experience

Now that we have successfully calculated what the top speed of our plane should be, we have to decide on how much 'thrust' we would like our plane to have. For the uninitiated (and that's who this tutorial is really for), thrust is quite simply the climbing ability of a plane. It's measured in ounces in the Imperial system of measurement. Let's take a look at what thrust is responsible for in our planes.

1) It's a measurement of how hard we can climb. Given enough thrust, we can actually make our plane hover in one spot, or with a little more thrust, send it into an unlimited vertical climb. Guys who like to fly 3D planes pick combos that give them lots and lots of thrust.

2) Thrust is also the thing responsible for giving us quick response from our plane in situations where we may get into trouble, and need a lot of power (thrust) to quickly get out of the predicament.

Basically, it all boils down to what kind of flying we are going to be doing. If all we're after is to fly our 25 ounce plane in a nice, gentle, scale like manner, with some mild aerobatics, then we only need to have a motor/prop combo that develops about 75% of our plane's weight in thrust. 18-19 ounces of thrust would be perfect for this type of flying.

At this point, though, all you really need to know is what thrust is. There is absolutely no need for you to remember charts and graphs of what kind of flying requires what kind of thrust. I said early on that this was going to be child's play, and it is. I don't know about you, but I can't remember what I did yesterday, so I know good and well I'd never be able to memorize thrust tables.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Nov 04, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)