View Single Post
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by vintage1
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
Really nice stuff. If you do not mind a Newbie question, after the nice surface model is developed, how do you go about adding thickness to the models surface and then deriving sections... like you would to create formers in a fuselage?

Tom
I described my method in post #15.

Since good looking 3D pictures for manuals is part of my aim, I took the opposite approach, breaking down the model skin into surfaces simple enough to be successfully off set. Then union the bits back together if a single offset didn't work.

As with all things Rhino, it doesn't like discontinuities and edges, so explode away the ugly seams, offset (as a solid) the simple surfaces and stitch the resultant pieces back together.

Then using boolean difference with a slab to generated the actual former as a solid, then finally using mesh outline to find the largest part of the former, if its edge is to be bevelled by e.g. sanding.

I prefer to do my offset early, and in a solid. Harpye seems to like to post process his actual curve outlines. .

Now this is to an extent a stylistic choice. I want a perfect solid model first, that I can 'photograph', check for unwanted intersections and generally mull over.

Once I am happy with a subassembly, I copy that to a new layer or a new file, create a special layer for actual cut curves, and take mesh outlines of everything, label them up with curved text, use subcurve delete to tab them, and then export them for lasering.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1