Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by ggunners
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
I've been following this forum for some time and am well aware of your contributions . So I value your opinion and am particularly curious what I could do to make it an interesting sim for modding and user-contributed add-ons. Cheers, Davy
Ahhh... Nobody has asked me what would be ideal for creating and adjusting rc airplane parameters before. Perhaps we should take this offline, but, since you asked....

<rcsimwishes mode="on">

How about hiding all the detailed stuff away in the .par file for those that want to tinker with the details but provide an easy-to-use model parameter adjuster. Then give people the basic sliders to adjust the model flight.

Rolls Faster ..............+............... Slower
Loops Bigger ...............+............... Smaller
RudderYaw More ..............+................ Less
SnapRolls HardSnaps .........+................ NoSnaps
3D Effects Very3D ..............+................ No3D
Power More .................+................ Less
Weight More .................+................ Less
Lift More .................+................ Less
Drag More .................+................ Less
Dihedral More .................+................ Less
Thrust/Weight More ..................+................ Less

Then with these 11 adjustments or more if we need any, an average person could change the sliders and publish their 11 parameters they used to make the model their own. Maybe even on a -10.0 to +10.0 scale. Then, the parameters would be known for typical model types at different scales. Make it cut and paste so they could share the parameters in forums.

In the .par file, I would love to choose an airfoil from a database of airfoils that we can add custom airfoils to. Choose from a database a motor, prop and battery or an engine and prop that could be added to. Grab the most basic information from the RC models published specs like span, length, flying weight, maybe CG and perhaps distance of rudder/elevator from CG. and then tinker with the rest through the sliders. Or since there are so few additional, add them to the list above.

Then if an individual changes everything and doesn't like it, allow changing back to the original .par file published with the model.

I know this would be pretty complex behind the scenes, but I think making .par changes easy would allow an explosion of new models for the sim.

<rcsimwishes mode="off">

Ahhh well, all good wishes anyway.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners