View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by downeym
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Since we are sharing, I thought I would post some info about my base station. Its all a self contained unit, so I just need to it put it on the tripod, turn the switch on, connect the camera and goggles and I am ready to fly.

14 Db patch antenna

6db whip antenna

Yellowjacket Diversity Rx

box and other parts
see the digikey attachment

Pan and tilt mechanism
Pan Mechanism
Tilt Mechanism

Screen
taken from an OEM nissan overhead DVD player

Inside is a cheap radio shack video distribution amp for running the screen, goggles, and camera simultaneously.

on the side is a radio shack RCA connector block for breaking out the video and allowing outside devices to plug in like my video goggles and Digital camcorder for recording video.

Inside is a standard BEC and RC receiver for pan and tilt. I am using 2 channels on my Tx for controlling this function. As I am flying if I notice that the display begins to break up, I can tweak the alignment easily to make it better. This allows me to place the receiver far away from me to optimize reception. I noticed that I can see some noise if the RC Tx is too close, so I can raise the entire station to about 6 feet off the ground and put it about 6 feet away from me.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of Eagle eyes for automating this though.

There is also a 4000mAh LiPo for power, but I really only need about half that... There is a deans connector hanging out of the case for charging.

More info about the plane and several videos of the base station in action can be found in the Main Queen Bee thread

Base Station (1 min 16 sec)
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Last edited by downeym; Oct 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM.