Thread: Discussion Training Helicopter- wish list
View Single Post
Old Oct 09, 2009, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by fpainter3
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,098 Posts
For years Airplane flyers have recomending a 40 size high wing trainer for beginners(about $300 with pumps batteries ETC.).Sure you could buy a screaming foamie RTF for $100, but if you were a newbie it would crash and burn shortly after take-off,and you would be discouraged and leave the Hobby.

We need the equilalent of that 40 size trainer. Tough, crash worthy and affordable.

If you build it with flybarless electronics, massive shafts, and large servos I think the weight difference would be a wash.

The goal is to have a beginner heli that can tip over while hovering on grass, set back up and continue to fly. My Axe CP had a 5mm main shaft, and I never bent it in 2 years of crashes.I was hell on Feathering shafts though.

The electronics -Radio,Flybarless module, esc,battery, motor, servos cant be counted. just like the 40 trainer they can be transfered to the high performance heli when training is over.

Most beginners who want to fly Helis will spend a lot more. My $200 Axe CP ended up costing me $800. If I would have bought a better heli in the beginning the cost would have been the same after 3 years.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3