Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,784 Posts
Discussion
Ritewing Zephyr 1st FPV flight

Before you watch the video, please read!

The first flight of the Zephyr in FPV mode was a success...well, sort of.
I want to say that I am 100% satisfied in how the Zephyr flies. With the folding prop, it glides so well and flies extremely slow when I want it to, yet has enough speed and thrust to climb out effortlessly and fly straight at a decent clip.

Video setup:
900mhz 500mw Range Video VTX mounted on wing tip
Range Video receiver w/ 8dbi patch sitting on the ground at a 45degree angle
Seperate VTX battery

Problem 1:
Im getting video lines from the microphone mounted on the VTX.
At first I thought it was cell tower interference because theres a tower within 1/8th of a mile (you can clearly see it in the video) BUT Im 100% positive now that the lines in the screen are microphone/wind induced because when I stalled the plane a few times and ceased forward momentum, the lines vanished. Sure enough, as I picked up speed they came right back. The sound of the wind is so loud, I can even hear the prop. I know its not motor enduced because Ive done ground checks and I get no interference...and in the video its a mix of gliding and powered flight. Should I just turn the gain down? Or shield the mic from the wind?

Problem 2:
The DX201 image is very clear (youtube doesnt do it justice) but Im getting the dreaded contrasting ground/sky issue. I havent adjusted any parameters in the cameras settings. What should I adjust in the camera to make it better for the contrasting ground and sky?
I can adjust:
wide dynamic range
gain
exposure
white balance
shutter speed
and a few others

Ritewing Zephyr 1st actual FPV flight (4 min 30 sec)
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member