View Single Post
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by dghutt
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
317 Posts
Rewstad -- I can't speak to floats, but I would go for the RxR Seawind if the price was close. I recall Great Planes was offering a $30 mail-in rebate only on the RxR version this spring although I'm not sure if it's expired. Also some hobby shops have rebates for orders over a certain amount (Tower, for instance, often offers discounts to international buyers). Once you factor in one shipping charge instead of two, suddenly outfitting a bare Seawind with Chinese electronics isn't a great deal anymore.

The Great Planes electronics aren't bad, although I've been told the 25A Silver series ESC has a crappy low voltage cut-off algorithm. Installing the stock Rimfire motor in the Seawind is slightly easier than going with a non-stock powerplant due to its stupid 3-bolt mount, for which the Seawind is set-up.

If you don't already have your own radio and Rx, though, then I'd go with HobbyKing or the like for your electronics so you can also order a cheapo 2.4G system.

Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth (if you're looking for two cents you'll walk away with change...). Good luck.
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt