Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim5150
Lee, found this thread a week or two ago and have become very curious about a wing without fins. Is the same airfoil used at the root and tip for the Assassin and Pinata? Do you cut any twist/washout into the cores?
The Assassin and the Pinata use the same airfoil from root to the tip. The new Pinata is a more swept version of the Assassin that uses the same airfoil and has been upgraded to the 1.9 lb EPP elevons too. The Pinata looks a little sportier but the Assassin is easier to set up and has more prop clearance and so it is my favorite.

If you look at the airfoil you would not guess the plane would fly like it does. The thick airfoil designed to protect the battery and radio in combat and for beginners has proven to be one of the best performance airfoils at the field. I can fly slower than any of the other combat worthy planes at the field but still have a 70 mph top end which is a great range for combat. We can put big motors and batteries on them and force them to fly 100+ but that is not the goal for this plane. It is designed for small field and low hour pilots that don't want to upset the neighbors and for combat clubs that want an inexpensive durable plane, that will fit in a small trunk, that can take the hits without structural failure.

I did not put any washout or twist in the wings. I designed this plane to be a fully aerobatic plane and washout or twist comes back to haunt you in inverted flight, axle rolls and outside loops.

We have comparing yaw in similar sized planes with and without fins. The Assassin design really is as stable and perform as well as similar planes with fins at all speeds.

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:53 AM.